Posts By Frank & Gijs & Hans
One squadron of the Royal Danish Air Force was equipped with Thunderflashes until 1971 when they were phased out in favour of the recce version of the Saab Draken. Initially 729 squadron at Karup received 10 Thunderflashes, but in 1963 they received 7 (ex Air National Guard) more as attrition replacements.
Photography in Belgium near military airfields and outside the gates and fences was not allowed for decades. The pictures in this gallery represent a selection , taken by the authors in Belgium as aircraft-spotters from 1967 to 1971 (pictures numbered 38-47 , 59-74 and possibly also 7 and 29)
Moreover some pictures of Belgian Air Force aircraft are included – kindly supplied by Gijs and belonging to his collection – taken at unknown dates and locations (unless mentioned ) in Belgium or elsewhere within air base enclosures during military base visits or military open days (pictures numbered 2 -8 ; 10-22 ; 24-37)
The Italian Thunderflashes were based at Villafranca, in northern Italy. The 78 Italian aircraft started entering AMI service in 1956, equipping the 3rd Aerobrigata (Wing), replacing RF-84G Thunderjets. The 3rd Wing made a conversion to the RF-104G Starfighter in 1970.
This gallery features pictures of aircraft that have been disposed of or preserved in one way or another; the airframes depicted here (gate-guards, monuments, eye-catchers, etc.) are photographed in the years 2011 onward. Airframes pictured in earlier years are in a separate gallery. Note that some of the aircraft portrayed here are no longer present at the given location.
W&R portrayed in the USA are dealt with in a separate gallery (also in this album “Preserved Aircraft”).
Commencing in 1955 the Royal Netherlands Air Force (K.Lu.) in total received 189 Hawker Hunters (F.4 and F.6 versions), equipping six squadrons at Leeuwarden , Twenthe ,Woensdrecht and Soesterberg. The F.4s (serials N-101 upto N-196) were phased out in …
No less than 213 F-16 fighter aircraft were delivered to the Royal Netherlands Air Force (K.Lu.) in 1979 and later years , 36 (thirty six) of these being two-seaters of the F-16B version .
The F-16´s of the dual seat …
Greece started receiving their first Thunderflashes in 1957, when 348 squadron (Mira) was formed at Larissa. The initial batch was augmented in 1964 by a number of ex Netherlands and German Air Force examples. In Greece the Thunderflashes were replaced by RF-4C Phantoms.
|No 306 Sqn KLu received its first RF 84F Thunderflash at RAF Laarbruch (G) on 4 April 1956. The squadron was stationed at Laarbruch from 8 Nov 1954 till 15 Jan 1958 when they moved to Deelen.|
In their early days they wore a silver livery with the 306 squadron-code (TP-) on the nose; in later years they were camouflaged and subsequently their P- registration was added.